Tag Archives: energy security
Some tidbits from Obama’s energy speech today:
* “We cannot keep going from shock to trance on the issue of energy security.”
* “Presidents and politicians of every stripe have promised energy independence, but that promise has so far gone unmet.”
* The U.S. should find and produce more oil at home, and reduce our dependence on oil with cleaner alternative fuels and greater efficiency.
* Focus on biofuels and electric vehicles and natural gas from shale made safe.
* On the federal transportation fleet: “To achieve our oil goal, the federal government will lead by example. The fleet of cars and trucks we use in the federal government is one of the largest in the country. That’s why we’ve already doubled the number of alternative vehicles in the federal fleet, and that’s why, today, I am directing agencies to purchase 100% alternative fuel, hybrid, or electric vehicles by 2015. And going forward, we’ll partner with private companies that want to upgrade their large fleets.”
* Nuclear still remains a necessary part of the U.S. energy future.
* Obama’s Clean Energy Standard would include nuclear: “Clean Energy Standard for America: by 2035, 80 percent of our electricity will come from an array of clean energy sources, from renewables like wind and solar to efficient natural gas to clean coal and nuclear power.”